Thursday, April 5, 2007

When Casting Announcements for One Show Ruin Enjoyment of Another

In a piece for the Columbus Dispatch, writer Molly Willow advocates a little discretion in casting announcements:
Notices of casting often spoil surprises Even before I sat down for the season finale of PRISON BREAK, I knew things wouldn't turn out well for agent Paul Kellerman.

Not in an "Oh, I totally saw that coming" way (we all knew Meredith wasn't going to die on GREY'S ANATOMY). I mean, I actually knew because the actor who plays Kellerman, Paul Adelstein, has a new job.

This isn't insider TV critic stuff; I read it in The Hollywood Reporter almost a month ago. (Speaking of Grey's, Kellerman's fate rested on some doctors on ABC; Adelstein's new job is in the planned Grey's spinoff.) Casting announcements are the same reason I doubt that the Fox comedy The War at Home will be renewed: Its star, Michael Rapaport, has been cast as the male lead of the new CBS fall comedy Fugly.

<...>

Although I like knowing which of my favorite actors will be appearing where announcements can take the surprise out of television.
Read the full article here.

No comments:



All copyrights retained by original authors, photographers, and rights holders. Original
Soappipe and Soappipe|Opinion content copyright 2007 (or current year) by Benjamin Bryant, all rights reserved.

Use of original Soappipe material either by reprint or linking is permitted without further permissions needed, as long as "Soappipe," "Soappipe|Opinion," or "Ben Bryant" is credited.